Diamond Education - Engagement Rings
How to Select a Diamond
Since 1899, Schwanke-Kasten Jewelers has been the place to go for diamond engagement rings!
As a Milwaukee-based, family owned business, you can trust that our team is here for you every step of the way.
When shopping for a diamond engagement ring, you should:
- Work with a reputable jeweler, like Schwanke-Kasten, who carries GIA certified diamonds
- Know your budget. This typically depends on what your partner's expectations are, as well as what you are comfortable spending.
- Be familiar with the 4C's when selecting a diamond. Established by the DeBeers Diamond Group, the 4C's are standardized parameters used to compare the characteristics of GIA certified diamonds. Specifically they are:
Cut - Clarity - Color - Carat Weight
When purchasing a loose diamond for a mounting, you should:
- Carefully place the diamond on the top of your hand and compare it with a similar diamond mounted in jewelry.
- Hold it up to the light and look at how the light dances around – it should throw out a rainbow and display the diamond’s natural brilliance.
- Look at diamonds of different clarity, shapes and sizes to find the one that is perfect for you. Remember, in some diamonds, the internal features may be hidden by the mounting and will not detract from a diamond’s overall beauty.
At Schwanke-Kasten Jewelers every center stone diamond selected is:
- Certified by GIA® (Gemology Institute of America), the world's most recognized diamond grading laboratory created by DeBeers;
- Exquisitely cut and individually checked so it can be perfectly mounted into your chosen setting;
- Ethically sourced and compliant with the industry's most rigorous standards of social responsibility.
- Additionally, any accent diamonds used in our ring mountings will be F-H in color and VS2 in clarity, or better.
We invite you to peruse our online engagement rings selection for ring ideas, but we also highly encourage you to stop by one of our Milwaukee stores to see our complete collection as this information does not replace the trained human eye. This is the magic ingredient of a truly stunning piece of jewelry; seeing it in person. We hope you will consider Schwanke-Kasten Jewelers for all your future jewelry purchases. For more information on diamonds, wedding bands, proposing, and all things engagement, follow our blog.